Antalya city sights
Downtown Antalya is full of things to see. From the ancient city walls, towers and gates to Ottoman period mosques to the picturesque harbor, Antalya is a photographer’s dream.
The Clock Tower and Downtown Mosques
The clock tower is the single remaining tower of the original ancient citadel. The clock was added at a later period.
The Mosque of Tekeli Mehmet Pasa is an Ottoman work situated behind Clock Tower by the entrance of Antalya’s Old City (Kaleiçi).
The Murat Paşa Mosque from 1570 is covered with a high dome on a ten-corner frame. The Sinan Mosque has a short minaret made of dressed stone. The tomb of Sheikh Sinan is located opposite the mosque.
Hidirlik Tower (Turkish: Hıdırlık Kulesi), Antalya’s landmark tower of tawny stone, stands where Kaleiçi meets Karaalioglu Park. It was most likely built in the Hellenistic era and used as a fortification.
The tower is situated where the land walls of the city join the sea walls. The 14 m high structure consists a of a circular tower on a quadratic pedestal. There are signs of restoration work on the upper part done in the Seljuk and Ottoman eras.
Hirilik Tower is now surrounded by cafés and restaurants offering panoramic views of the Gulf of Antalya.
The Hadrian’s Gate, (Üçkapılar -"The Three Gates" in Turkish) is a triumphal arch built by the Roman emperor Hadrian, who visited Antalya in 130 A.D. According to the legend, those were the gates under which Belkis, the Queen of Saba, passed with her ships full of diamonds on her way to visit King Solomon in Antalya.
Formerly, the city walls enclosed the outside of the gate; the gate was only discovered when the walls collapsed. The upper part has three apertures in the shape of a cupola, and except for the pillars is built entirely of white marble.
On either side of the Gate are towers which were built separately. The southern one , the Julia Sancta Tower, is a work of the Hadrian era, constructed of plain stone blocks. The northern tower has a base from the Roman Era, but the upper part is left over from the Seljuks.
This mosque bears the traces of a long history from antique to Ottoman times. A large church was built during the 6th Century on the foundations of a demolished 2nd Century A.D Temple. During the 7th Century Arab invasion it was severely damaged; it was repaired in the 9th Century.
It was converted to a Mosque during the Selcuk period, but in 1361 when Antalya fell to the Cyprus King Peter I it was reconverted to a church. It was again used as a mosque during the reign of Sultan Bayazid II’s son Prince Korkut (1470-1509). The mosque continued in use until 1896, when it was largely destroyed by fire. Known previously as the Korkut Mosque, as well as the Friday mosque, after the fire destroyed its upper section it was called the truncated mosque, or the Kesik (cut) Minaret.
The Yivli Minare (fluted minaret) is a landmark and symbol of Antalya. The mosque was first built in 1230 and fully reconstructed in 1373. The minaret, decorated with blue stoned, is 38 metres high, built on a square stone base with eight fluted sections. It has 90 steps to the top.
It may have originally been a Byzantine church, converted into a mosque around 1225-7, during the reign of the Seljuk sultan Ala ad-Din Kay Qubadh I. The mosque was destroyed in the 14th century and a new one was built which, with its six domes, is one of the oldest examples of multi-dome construction in Anatolia.
Today the building houses the Antalya Ethnographic Museum and contains clothing, kitchen utensils, embroidery, tapestries and looms, socks, sacks, kilims, ornaments, and nomadic tent.
Seljuk Sultan 1st
A statue of first Turkish conqueror of Antalya was erected on May 5th 1207. He founded the Turkish Navy and signed the first trade agreement between the Seljuk turks and the people of Antalya.
The statue of Ataturk in Antalya Town Centre
The founder of Antalya has a statue situated close to the Clock Tower